At AbeBooks we have an open returns policy that lets buyers return an item for any reason. The refund process and amount is then determined by the return reason. A full list of return reasons and refund procedures can be reviewed here.
While refunds are always accepted, we require that booksellers to keep their refunds as low as possible in order improve buyer satisfaction and encourage repeat business.
Here are some tips on how you can reduce the amount of refunds in your account:
- Ensure that your books are accurately described. If a book is inaccurately described, a buyer can claim a refund for both original and return shipping. If it is accurately described, only original shipping is refunded.
- Upload photos. Books with images are refunded half as often as books without images.
- Process the order only when you've confirmed that the book is in stock and have checked that it's condition matches the description provided to the buyer.
- Use trackable shipping and enter the tracking details immediately online. This will protect against any refund requests due to the item not arriving.
- Pack your items well to avoid damage during shipping. The book's condition is the responsibility of the bookseller until it arrives at the buyer.
In some cases refunds are unavoidable, for example when a buyer simply changes their mind. In situations such as these, the refund does not count against the bookseller rating. The following refund reasons are not included in the bookseller rating calculation:
- Buyer cancelled before shipping.
- Buyer does not want item.
- Incomplete sale (bookseller direct order where payment was not received)
For more information on refunds and returns, visit our help pages here.